Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Rip Curl and Corduroy

Rip Curl complete by capitolaquilter
Rip Curl Complete - December ALYoF Goal
Rip Curl complete, a photo by capitolaquilter on Flickr.
A little sand and seaweed won't hurt - the bird poop on the other hand.... ha ha
headed home to toss it in the wash.

A quilt photo shoot is much more fun when the tourists are gone although I'm still a little self conscious wandering around. My iPhone battery went from 3% to 1% then shut itself off but not before I captures a few nice ones.
The back
The FMQ went pretty smoothly with a traced back swirl and random loops.  Despite the crazy Christmas crunch - I was also motivated to finally make my A Lovely Year of Finishes goal for December having rolled this particular one over from previous months.
way too much binding
The wave fabric that I was using for the binding had been cut into so I had to piece together a bunch of partial widths having no idea how many strips to make I just kept going until I ran out.  There ended up with so much extra, another quilt will surely be bound with it.

New Years Resolution Goal - All 9 are done!
I mentioned before that finishing Rip Curl was especially gratifying because it is the 9th and final top that I set out to make into a finished quilt as part of my New Year's Resolution goal posted here.


My latest WIP is really kind of exciting. Corduroy improv - finally.  It must be nearly 3 years since I started collecting.  I was fortunate to have a friend let me in on some tips since I'm pretty much exclusively a quilt cotton kind of gal.  The varied texture and depth has appealed to be for longer than that.  How about you - ever given it a try?
close up
linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced, Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict,  Finish It Up Friday with Amanda Jean, to the December Finish Link Up at ALYoF  and Q4FAL 2013 with Leanne at She Can Quilt.

Completed: 1
Rip Curl

New: 2
Corduroy Improv
Christmas Secret

Belated: 3
21st B'day guy quilts

In the planning and plotting stages: 2
2014 Wedding quilts


  1. Rip Curl is beautiful! I have only sewn corduroy with garments, never quilting. You are on to something very interesting with this!!!

  2. I love your Rip Curl quilt, especially the back! Good luck with the corduroy!

  3. Maybe corduroy is the new pink? The texture of your improv must be amazing.

  4. What a fun quilt! lovely location for a photoshoot, wish I had that nearby! The improve corduroy quilt is really interesting!

  5. Very cool setting for your photos! The quilt is awesome, well done! Have a Merry Christmas!

  6. Congrats on meeting your goal for the nine quilts. I finished lots this year, too. I also made a quilt with the same blocks as your Rip Curl. I LOVE your pieced border.

  7. Congratulations for meeting your goal of finishing nine quilts in a year! Your Rip Curl is awesome!

  8. Your rip curl quilt is beautiful. I love the colours and the beach!! Congratulations on finishing all your wonderful quilts. Xx

  9. Beautiful finish and photo shoot. And a huge congrats on accomplishing all your New Years Resolution quilts!

  10. Beautiful finish and SO cool you got all 9 quilts done!

  11. I love Rip Curl - that's one of my favourite classic blocks. And definitely congrats on getting all 9 quilts done as planned!


Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!