Saturday, April 12, 2014

Flowers and Veggies

Todays class was terrific   So much so that I came home and not only finished my block but auditioned fabric for the next.  We had our choice of flowers or veggies   I had packed colors for the bell pepper not realizing it was the most complex pattern. The eggplant should be a breeze.
"Sew It Like Ruth" uses a template method.  The teacher Heidi Sandkuhle taught us the concept and skills to translate any of our own original photos or designs into quilts which was a big part of the appeal.     
Check out how itty bitty some of the parts were
The workshop book Piecing Expanding the Basics feels less intimating thanks to the teaching of Ruth McDowells method by the very talented Heidi who is an accomplished artist in her own right.  Now i read through it with fresh eyes and am really glad I bought it. 

New and Old Potted Plants

On Tuesday I stopped by Costco for dog food and drove home with two new rhododendrons  
Four days later and not yet in the ground but apparently happy with their new digs 
My orchid is also doing well.   Loving the dark colors in them both. Wishing you all a lovely Spring 

6 comments:

  1. I expected this post to say that you had been out in the garden with no time for sewing as is the case with me these days. I love the pepper block! I love paper piecing, but I don't cut the paper apart I just do lots of tearing away later. It looks like this method eliminates the paper tearing, I might have to check out that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No green thumb for me but glad you're enjoying gardening. The only sewing I've done lately before this had been at a retreat, sew day and the workshop.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by to say hi! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pepper and the fabric choices you used. I love Ruth's work and have some of her books but I've never tried her methods. Maybe I will give it a go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pepper block. That middle fabric looks just like seeds! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bell pepper block and the flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!