Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Army of Self Love - October BeeSewcial

Finished Blocks
The theme for our BeeSewcial month of October "Army of Self Love".  Kari is going to have an uplifting and powerful quilt.  I am proud to be part of this celebration of positivity and creativity with a focus on both individuality and unity.  Recognizing and remembering to not judge ourselves or others because of physical appearance despite the influence of our society to do so.

Here is my version of the "hourglass" shape, abstractly representing the female form in various skin tones and proportions surrounded by the shining light from within, the inner glow of true beauty that we all possess.

parts in the making
You can discover more about Kari and the amazing work that she creates in IG @quiltsforthemaking and on her blog Craft Happy.  Her MQG QOM Synapse will be in the Special Exhibit at QuiltCon.
full block
I happened to be chatting with my SIL who was home sewing and knew that my plans for the day included finishing up the second block.  So I tossed this tub of scraps in the car and invited myself up to her house.
solid scraps
Although the figures are meant to be standing tall as if marching in unity, I couldn't help placing this one on the bench for a photoshoot because in my mind, taking a moment to be present and sitting side by side enjoying the company of one another goes hand in hand with the theme too.

The upside of being so tardy with sharing my block is that I can include links for you to  check out my beemates posts including Debbie's improv hourglass tutorial.  She also has a yummy recap of her Baconrific Quilt
OS leggings 
I couldn't help but think of the theme while trying on and buying these leggings at the pop-up shop during a recent retreat - they come in only two sizes and the tag on mine reads OS "one size".  I felt like taking a pen and adding a "not".  Don't get me wrong, they are cozy, encourage women to be comfortable and are designed to conform to lots of shapes which I fully support.

 Thanks for stopping by and reading my ramblings.  I've got so much more to share and will be back soon to catch up.

1 comment:

  1. Such an intriguing theme this one, and I'm anxious to see the quilt come together. Your blocks are lovely... Thanks for the shout-out too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!