Sunday, February 11, 2018

Throwback Photoshoot and PQS9.3 Voting Time

First off, head on over to Project Quilting HERE because voting just opened and you get to choose your top 10 picks.  Wink, wink I'd love to have my entry one of them (it's #6 on the list of over a hundred!).  Read all about the tote I made "Forge your Own Path" for the Bold and Brave theme in my last post and shown at the bottom of the page.

Photo Session at Sew Day

Photo shoot at Sew Day 
The February prompt for BeeSewcial is "Timeline" and Stephanie has asked us to make a personal totem representing important people and events in our lives from birth to present time.  Working out the specifics of what to include and reflecting back on it all has been a really great process.

Timeline Bee Block Fabric Pull
I knew that I wanted to include my creative journey as a category and mark certain key points like learning to sew in 4-H, joining Flickr, starting my blog etc.  What I found in digging for dates is that I really did not photograph the earlier quilts very well.  Thank goodness there are snapshots for breadcrumbs to follow but what was missing on most is a full finish reveal.

photo credit Darlene reopost from  SBAMQG
The idea of documenting quilts was also fresh in my mind because I had read about QuiltAlliance and their Quilt Story Roadshow and also one of my guild mates had created photo books and a calendar of her quilts and shared at Sew and Tell last meeting.

Anyway - long story long, I asked her to bring the stand to our Sew Day so that I could hang and photograph my most recent big finish, the King Clam and while I was at it, several other that I still own and don't have a proper picture of.

King Clam - the quilt for our bed

This included the three other "beasts" that are our own bed quilts. They range in size between 105" and 110" square and are too big to simply hold up on the porch.   The Bento Box in pink batik and indigo was made from fabrics gathered while vacationing in Kauai 2010/2011.  The pattern is by Tracy Brookshier (a fellow guild mate)  Lava Lamp was made from stash around the same time and I sewed matching shams for them both.   For years I rotated those two on our bed Spring/Summer then Fall/Winter.   In 2013 the x-Plus took their place year round.  I love the mixed scale blocks and layout.   You can find the fussy cut bonus HST tutorial on my blog HERE.




It was a nice chance to take a close look at some favorite fabrics and quilting motifs especially on the quilts that have been sitting in a stack unused. The two other quilts were Goats Askew was made as a test score in 2014 for The Improv Handbook For for Modern Quilters by Sherri Lynn Wood of Daintytime.  It didn't make it in the book but is linked from her gallery.  I posted about it HERE.  And lastly, a scrappy cross quilt made from stash March 2011.  It is backed with flannel which I use to use regularly. 

Bento Box -Batiks and Indigo from Kauaii
Not only is the inside space at Community Foundation of Santa Cruz ideal for stitching with friends, sharing technique, inspiration and making memories but the exterior makes for the best backdrop.   There was early morning glare and then the wind did pick up in the afternoon but I managed to pull off my task along with several other guild mates who photographed using the stand.

a "Chelfie" because - we color match!
There wasn't much actual stitching done on my part but I did trim the rest of my quarter circle blocks to prepare for QuiltCon's workshop.    I've got solid with solid, print with solid and print with print combinations and with a three hour class I'm feeling pretty set.

Trimming my Homework
REMEMBER: The polls close this Friday, so head over to Persimon Dreams Project Quilting and VOTE
Project Quilting Bold & Brave Entry

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool you got all those photos - yay! And good luck with the voting - I voted for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Sorry I got to the PQ page to late, your bag design is great, I certainly would have voted for it. I love all your finishes from picture day. the clam shells came out great, love the colors! Have fun at Quilt Con, travel safe. cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!