Sunday, September 6, 2015

3 in 1 Betsy Bag - zipped up!


zippered front
Do you ever start a project and hit pause for no good reason?   My 3 in 1 Betsy Bag sat in the same state as shown on my "travel handmade to be" blog post until now.  Thanks to #fridaynightsewalong for boosting me to finish.
recessed zipper top
At our August guild meeting I purchased the zipper with the intention of bringing it for show and tell last Tuesday.  Oh well, it's done in time for stuffing it full of supplies for our SBAMQG Quilt Retreat in October so that counts. 
hardware detail
The recessed zipper (my first) was a modification from the drawstring in the pattern because I knew I  couldn't stand the thought of squishing my bugs.  
back
Kraftex, was easy to use (also a first) and will be great for the base of more bag projects.   Because this one is so deep I used a shoe box wrapped in fabric as a support to iron out the wrinkles created when flipping the bag inside out after attaching the lining.  I also sprayed with Best Press.
folded option
The bag design cleverly folds inside itself to convert to a briefcase size with an outside zipper becoming an inside zipper.  The interior also features one entire side of divided pockets.
pretty in pink deatils

For a pop of color I used a solid pink for the lining and also added another pink pocket inside with a key clip.  Now that it's all sewn together it's near impossible to photograph so here's a shot I shared on IG when I was auditioning topstitch thread colors. 
recessed zipper parts
I was wanting to make sure change I made wasn't going to be hindered by the opening while unzipped and overestimated the space. I can trim and redo the end tabs easily.
stitching down the rings
Reinforcing the straps strength by leaving a wide turndown and lots - lots - of stitching should make it hold up.  The fussy cut on the straps was worth the effort but these are covered up.  

Excited to have it done and to add a travel handmade to my collection.  Linking to the party at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

Started: July 6, finished Sept 6, 2015
Pattern: 3 in 1 Besty Bag by Betsy La Honta for Stash Books/C&T Publishing
Fabrics: Tokyo Trainride by Sarah Watts,  Flora& Fauna by Patty Young,  Kona solid and Kraftex in Stone. Thread: Aurifil #2325 50wt and #5014 40wt.  Interfacing: Pellon 808 and Shape-flex Hardware (need to look this up)

6 comments:

  1. This is a clever bag, I wonder if you have a link to the pattern or maybe it is your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link to the pattern 3 in 1 Betsy Bag by Betsy La Honta, Stash Books added as well as some other details thanks Leanne for the reminder. I posted from my phone with the intention of editing on the computer and forgot.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Bags scare the crap out of me so I am in total awe of your amazing sewing job! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. All the details really make a difference in a bag finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work shows a lot of attention to detail. That makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you help me please? I can not find the size to cut the outer fabric for the bottom of the bag. Do you recall the size or where you found it on the pattern?

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!