Sunday, January 28, 2018

I'm Published - Curated Quilts Log Cabin edition

Improv Abstraction meets Log Cabin - Photo Credit Sue Quijano
I am so thrilled to be a small part of the latest quarterly publication of Curated Quilts.   It's real.  Holding the beautifully weighted pages in my own two hands - oh, the feeling.    The fact that I really love the mini,  the creative journey involved in making it and that I have the honor of being included alongside so many makers that I admire is a bit overwhelming.

Log Cabin Edition
Eye Candy Table of Contents
Definitely check it out if you haven't already on their website HERE.  Copies are shipping now and digital subscriptions available as well.   Signing up for the newsletter also makes it easy to find out about future themes.  Next issue will be filled with Minimal quilts, a new found favorite style of mine.

Fabric Auditioning 
Creating with a given palette in a specific theme is right in my wheelhouse.   I missed finishing the linear mini for the first publication (shared  HERE) and there wasn't any way that was going to happen again.

Playing with Parts
Working in a series and exploring the same shape seemed like a natural progression.  I had just finished teaching a "Improv Abstraction" workshop for the Bay Area Modern guild in September and was excited for the opportunity to explore how to translate it into a Log Cabin.

Improv Abstraction Workshop
Because of the a size restraint, I decided to make the curve more gently sloped and extend the straight tail as needed.  The contrast of pieced parts on one side and mostly single parts on the other was one way to distinguish them.  More obvious, is the high and low contrast of colors.

Rolling Seams open
Retaining a traditional, recognizable Log Cabin design was my goal.   Having a consistent width throughout and keeping the arch similar was key.  Trying to find the balance within the design layout while giving it a personal touch was challenging but ultimately rewarding.

Squaring Up as I go

Those who know me have heard me describe my style as "perfectly imperfect' .  Sewing specifally for an entry that I hoped would be chosen brought with it a little more precision and yet I made sure to stay true to my aesthetics.
Auditioning Thread
Quilting on my domestic was kind of nice to tell the truth.  I've gotten so spoiled using my friends longarm I was nervous and a bit insecure when I began but quickly warmed up and enjoyed myself.

Opting for Texture
In the end, I opted for texture rather than too many different thread colors to minimize the destruction from the design itself.    On the first side I went with somewhat random improv echo and the second side I kept intentionally minimal and controlled, stitching to outline the dark. 

Thank you Amy and Christine for the opportunity to show my work and to discover other makers in the process.  

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's a very very cool mini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'm so pleased for you and adore your mini! Love the threads and quilting you chose to accent your design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW That is big and your quilt is stunning..love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imperfect is my style. Hard to follow a pattern. Your style and quilting is wonderful. Published in Curated Quilts is wonderful and that is my favorite publication. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can relate. Agreed, Curated Quilts is a unique and wonderful publication.

      Delete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!