Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I'm Back with Backs - WIP Wednesday

I'm Back with Backs

The Quilt Retreat was amazingly perfect -if I do say so myself- and chairing the event for the second year with a rock star committee did make things a bit easier.  I'll tell you all about it in a blog post but until then you can get a feel for how much fun we had from the flickr photos.  I dabbled in lots of projects but focused mostly on backs.
Koi Pond 
The grounds were so peaceful and I had to take this picture because it made me think of the Baby Koi and Pond Parents Halloween costume I made for my son's Zen Family.
Bonus HST for xPlus Backing
These will be sewn in a strip between the two fabrics on the right and I'm using an orphan xPlus as my siggy block.  My Giant xPlus with bonus HST tutorial recently featured on Leanne's blog hop has now been been added here.  This is my November ALYoF goal and one of my Q4 FAL projects and top priority.  I cut my binding the length of fabric so there will be very little piecing - yeah.

I was recently re-inspired about backs thanks to The Other Side of The Quilt linky party with Katie at   SwimBikeQuilt.  There are 167 and counting. Did you add yours?? Link up is still open for a bit.
fabric for xPlus backing
My project packing approach for our SBAMQG 2nd Annual Fall Quilt Retreat this past weekend was about as opposite as it could have been from when I prepared for the BamQ Retreat last Spring.

Maybe it was because theirs was a UFO theme and the thought of cranking out some finishes had me all organized - with a spreadsheet, grouped front/back/binding and pre-measured batting.   I laugh at myself re-reading this blog post - it says a dozen to go but I kept adding more.

Floor Galore
Or maybe it was because I was so excited I geniunely cared more that all the swag bags, prizes and supplies were in order than what I'd actually be sewing on.   The massive floor space was ideal for laying out backing -we were so spoiled!

Back for Rip Curl
The design of this one changed a half dozen times from the design wall to the sewing machine - it was like playing with the magnetic origami puzzle my kids had.  I brought it for Show & Tell at the guild meeting last night since not everyone came to the Retreat...although 25 attendees for a small group like ours was a pretty high %.
Back for Fruit Salad quilt
Back for Baby Birdy quilt
Mixing flannel with quilt cotton is new for me but this yellow floral was just too perfect to pass up and I wanted to use the extra blocks from the front.

linking up to WIP Wednesday with guest host Kelly from My Quilt Infatuation. 

Finished: 1
Our MQG's 2nd Annual Fall Retreat
Progress: 6
xPlus Back
Rip Curl Back 
Baby Birdy Back
Baby Birdy top
Fruit Salad (sandwiched, quilted and binding started)
second Schoolhouse (cut out)
To Do:?
Prep for Saturday's workshop Tile Quilt Revival
2 WonkyBraid Blocks f+f2 Nov
unpack and recover from the Retreat

4 comments:

  1. Cool backs! You are inspiring me to get crackin' on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I adore the back for Rip Curl! Out of curiosity, where did you end up having your retreat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the unexpected on quilt backs. yours look great! I'm headed over to check out the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great progress and glad you had such a wonderful retreat!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!