Tuesday, January 16, 2018

November BeeSewcial: Maximalist Improv

23"x24" BeeSewcial November 2017

When I read the description for November's #BeeSewcial block :  Maximalism, fun, happy, all color, no rules, no rulers proposed by Leanne @shecanquilt let's just say I was thrilled.   "Time to laugh and play" how cool is that for prompt?!
building parts
My scrap basket was a perfect place to pull shapes that were already partially cut into bits of inspiration as a starting point.  I also dipped into my fat quarter stash to find the right color and larger pieces when needed.  It was a weekend of scissors, freehand rotary and stitching with no pins.  Definitely my kind of fun. 

composing with "chunks"
I've worked this method enough to know not to get too attached to what I see mid-way on the design board.  Things change and evolve as I sew parts together and I try to remind myself of that.  Although it may look random, in the moment, when I'm in the zone, there are a ton of composition decisions being made. 

The photo above shows the the left and right quadrant on the design wall separated and the photo below showed them overlapped and pinned in place.  With gentle curves I can get away with no pins which I prefer to help keep the momentum going but there are steps near the end where pinning in place to position the key visual "connections" is helpful.  


rare pinning in place before the glue

Excess is left until after I've sewn the joint as seen below in this underside process shot.  The split egg shape has become a favorite thing to include and something I'd like to explore in a series.  
underside before trimmed
Here's a link to see the blocks Leanne has received from my other mates HERE.  There is something so satisfying when they are all together and also a huge relief to see proof that it didn't get lost in the mail.


Split Egg - a Future Series


Maximalist Circles for Leanne November 2016

Waves Depth Flow block for Felicity March 2017


Block for Di 2015
One of my fist BeeSewcial blocks and a design that I'd love to super size into a quilt is this one for Di.  I think that subconsciously it sparked the "Reflections" theme that I chose when it was my turn back in 2015.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could take an improv class from you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All lovely! You truly inspire me with every prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so exiting, what you are doing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be wonderful to take class for this

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!