Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Welcome Package Challenge Aurifil Artisan 2023-2024

Self Portrait Quilted

When I opened my Aurifil Artisan 2023-2024 Welcome Package the big bold cone of 2225 Salmon and large spool of 1104 Neon Orange immediately caught my eye and I knew they would pair perfectly to quilt my recently made Self Portrait fabric collage.  


Aurifil Artisan 2023-2024 Team

You may have seen on my Instagram feed and stories the unboxing of this beautiful selection of thread including thread weights 80 wt, 50 wt, 40 wt, Forty/3, 28 wt, 12 wt, floss and monofilament - and the assortment of colors, just wow! 


I'm not sure how else I would have been able to decide on which weight and color to start with for our first challenge so it was nice to have a clear direction.



Color 2225 Salmon Cone 
Without a lot of experience working so literal rather than abstract, I have to admit that the entire process including stitching free-style on my self portrait was a bit unnerving.  The small patterns and cross hatch in the fabric was my quilting motif inspiration, especially for the background. 


It made sense to simply use a cut off chunk from a quilt project since I only needed a small piece.  Hobbs 80/20 batting and flannel backing did the trick.

Stash Binding 

Another light bulb moment happened when it was time to bind.  Years ago I picked up a roll of ready made double fold bias tape from our local quilt show sale.  

The Backside

For the hand stitching of the binding to the back, I used 2692 Black 50wt.

Finished Self Portrait

The close crop at the top was intentional when I printed the pattern to cut out but I'm not sure it looks as successful as I had hoped it would and my forehead feels awkwardly interrupted in the composition.  Experimenting is a good thing when trying new techniques and there's a lot that I am pleased with especially my threads - so it's all good. 

 Paper Parts

Orange you glad that I turned my UFO into a finish? I know I am.

Happy Stitching, Karen






1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine how this all came together but it's awesome, and how fun you were able to put those orange threads right to use!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!