Sunday, August 21, 2016

In Memory Of

Memory Quilts by Anne Sullivan
In our house, dogs are family.  In fact truth be told, they kind of ran the place. If you're "a dog person" you get that.   Our friend Anne does and the quilts that she made in their memory will be treasured forever. 

We are so fortunate to have had Chase and Dottie in our lives for a long loving time which in turn makes the heartbreak of their loss so much deeper.   We said goodbye to Dottie in September and to Chase one moon ago.   

Chase-front
Chase was addopted in October 2012 from the Peninsula Humane Society after researching and visiting a few German Shorthair Pointers in foster care.  When they walked him out to the yard to let us spend time together, he climbed right up on my hubby's lap and that was it.  He had chosen his family.  Our boys were in elementary and middle school which acts as an unmistakable marker of time.   We immediately found him a companion, aninseparable  soulmate, Dottie.

Chase - back
Chase - Label
Anne and Chase May 2015
Before Anne moved away, far far away - we would have basting parties and collaborate on projects.  Chase was not a lap dog for just anyone.  He knew how to choose his humans.
Quilting detail back
I absolutely love everything about the quilt and am so touched, beyond words.  Chase was here when we received the Dottie quilt in the mail.   It is difficult to adjust and we are still grieving the loss, but there is also something that now feels complete having them together again, captured in fabric by thoughtful (amazingly talented) hands and a huge giving heart.

a Full Moon Walk


I'm glad to be attending QuiltCon East where Anne will be lecturing and teaching a workshop so that I can give her a proper hug to go with the many, many virtual ones.

8 comments:

  1. ahh. That is really a lovely gift Anne has given you. I'm so sorry for your losses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a loving and generous gift. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your losses. Your puppies look very special, loving couple. These two quilts are beautiful memories. My thoughts are with you ... one month is a short time. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful quilts. I am sorry for this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilts. What a thoughtful thing to do in remembrance of past loved ones.
    Would it be possible to get Anne's email address? I would like to ask her if I could purchase the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely remembrances you received, and what an especially generous friend you have in Anne. Very special. We're glad to have her here in Florida now, and I hope to meet up with her at the September Orlando MQG meeting. My condolences on the loss of your dogs. I'm dreading when we will face what you have faced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful gift! I'm so sorry for your loss, no words can bring comfort. My GSP looks just like Dottie, a wonderful soul who also is a lap dog<3 My best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, Karen! <3 <3 Thank you for the super sweet write up. I miss you and the pups and I'm so sorry for the loss of your two pups. It feels like it takes forever before I stop looking for them or falling into previous routines. My heart goes out to you and your family, and I wish I could be there. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!