Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Bold and Brave: Project Quilting 9.3

Finally, after following for years the posts for Project Quilting I'm participating!  The third challenge of season 9 is the theme "Bold and Brave" and best of all makers are encouraged to interpret however they like.

The turn around is quick with only a week to finish and link up and usually life and other deadlines get in the way.  Voting for my favorites is about all the joining in I've been able to squeeze in but not this time.

In the spirit of multi-tasking, I decided to take the opportunity to use the theme for a gift that I wanted to make anyway.

My granddaughter has been a collaborator in many projects and letting her curate the fabric was fun for both of us.  Obviously I didn't use all of the pull but she enjoyed unpinning and unrolling the pieces from their boards.  She also added two words to her vocabulary: "Insulated and Laminated". 

The original orientation was this direction because it reminded me of a lotus blossom.  A design concept that I'd like to revisit.  I don't use or organize my notions very well so I was proud of myself for owning and more importantly being able to locate where I kept the Insulbrite, snap closure and laminate. 

I shared this sneak on IG captioned "Forge your Own Path".   My take on the theme may seem a bit on the lighthearted side of the spectrum as I'm sure there will be deep meaning tributes by others but that's OK.  

Insulbrite 
Embracing the Bold and Brave within my creative self and taking that approach to quilting and designing is very heartfelt and genuine.    

I used metalic essex linen to add some bling and quilted at whim with Aurifil 40wt and 50 wt in several colors.   Life's path is not a straight line and sometimes you get thrown a curve and redirect but it doesn't mean the journey is any less wonderful.

Depending on the angle viewed you get a different perspective with the curves and that feels symbolic as well.   In more recent years, I've explored "meaning in the make" concepts and if there isn't a direct prompt it has a way of creeping in subconsciously.

The size was partly dictated by the size of the piecing but I made sure it was practical for use and could hold a reusable water bottle with room for snacks.


The loop I included is meant to make it easy for hanging on a doorknob but it worked well for the photoshoot too!


It's a bonus to discover other makers who participate and also the sponsors, like Therm O Web - talk about a selection of notions, wow!  Linking up HERE at Persimmon Dreams.  Instagram hashtag is #pqseason9.  Check it out even if you aren't playing along and be sure revisit when voting opens.

Started 5pm Sunday 2/4/2018
Finished 10pm Monday 2/5/2018
Fabrics/notions: essex Linen, Thermalbrite, stash quilt cotton, laminate, magnetic snap, aurifil 40& 50wt thread.
Sewing machine: Babylock Symphony
Original design.  made in Capitola, CA

5 comments:

  1. I love everything about this tote! The curves, the colors, the size is all perfect for holding a water bottle and snack...plus it's so modern and fun! Beautifully bold and brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Project Quilting fun!! I love your bag and all those great colors & textures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool - I love the colors and the curves. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very gorgeous! Your granddaughter is adorable and it's so great you include her in the process! THanks for joining in the fun! So happy to have you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!