Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Finish and A Feature

Perspective 

Perspective 48"x60"
The title is tentative but the quilt is not.  I'm thrilled to share my latest finish.  It features Anna Maria Horner's Loominous fabric and will be on display at Hart's Fabric if you're local.  The pattern was generated by me and the computer using Play-Crafts tool, Equal. (edit: Anne will be lecturing at QuiltConWest'16- can't wait!).  

Turns out trying to photo shoot in the afternoon on a nice Memorial Day weekend isn't the easiest thing to do.  I thought I'd pop down to the village for a few quick snaps but it was so crowded that I kept driving.
Depot Hill overlooks Capitola Village and was slightly less populated.  I found a 24 minute parking space and here you have it, some glamour shots.

FQM details 
On last "in the works" pics for those not on IG.  You can also see this post for more of the backstory. Linking up to Let's Bee Social and Finish it Up Friday.

Someone at the store assumed that I used metallic thread because of the sparkles but no, illuminated twinkles on its own. There's no shortage of texture in this quilt as accentuated by the lighting through my front windows.  I was curious about how the difference in weave would be and I'm happy to say they didn't present anymore than the FMQ challenges I usually face.

Quilt: Perspective
Finished Size 48"x60"
Designed with Play-Crafts tool Equal
Started on May 15, 2015 Completed on May 25, 2015
Fabric Loominous by Anna Maria Horner, Binding Kona Pansy
Backing Moda Botany and Fig Tree from stash
Thread, pieced with Aurfil 50wt #2325, quilted with 40wt #2515
Batting Winline Bamboo
by me in my living room on my Babylock Symphony 


Well that's "the Finish" now for "the Feature"

The Loveliest of Features!

Head on over to The Plaid Portico to read the loveliest feature about me written by Andover's fabric designer Carol Van Zandt .  She also has some better pictures of my quilts Dig Deep and Ripple Studel on her blog than mine.

Her art and designs reach beyond quilt cotton and include Greeting Cards, Gift Wrap, Cases & Skins, Kitchen Textiles and more - be sure to check it out. 

Gift Wrap - Designed by Carol Van Zandt
On my way home from work today I took a pitstop to Depot Hill again because I realized I never got a decent picture of this quilt of mine and I want to live up to my into!  If you look really closely on the horizon you can see Moss Landing across the Monterey Bay.

Look Who's Walking - Photo update
The walking path seemed an appropriate location given the quilt's name.
(Inspired by the Lattice quilt ca. 1930 Haven Kansas from the book Amish Abstractions: Quilts from the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown)

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Karen!! I saw the AMH at the Intrepid Thread and wondered how it would work in a quilt. It is amazing and you have made it more so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Karen!! I saw the AMH at the Intrepid Thread and wondered how it would work in a quilt. It is amazing and you have made it more so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness, this turned out beautifully! I think you managed to make these fabrics look their very best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know I love EVERYTHING about this quilt because I won't shut up about how awesome it is!! It's obvious a lot of work and craftsmanship went into this (omg the fussy cutting, really?!?!) and I think it was well worth the effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I adore your quilts, can't stop looking at Perspective. And the setting, oh, my! Lived in SoCal in my 20s and would live there forever if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous finish, Karen! I've watched it come together on instagram and I'm so happy to experience the full finish here.

    By the way, I now know where your handle comes from. I always said it "Capitol A Quilter" in my mind. Whoops. As a Canadian, I don't always recognize US city names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilts and so beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish and how fun that Aurifil featured it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your quilt is lovely...the colors are so great together and the fabrics..yum,!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a huge AMH fan, but have struggled a little bit with her new line because I liked the fabrics so much, but didn't quite know what to do with them... this is the perfect inspiration for me! I love this quilt! (and that is not an understatement in an effort to simply say something nice) Really lovely finish!

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the palette of your new quilt--gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on both the finish and the feature, Karen! What gorgeous quilting on your Perspective quilt. Love all those beautiful pics... Especially the close up. Keep up the awe inspiring great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both your finish and your feature! Such beautiful quilts - well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I just found your blog via Anna Maria Horner on facebook. The loominous fabric really shines in your design. I also love Look Who's Walking -- such beautiful colors and design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cassandra, I'm so flattered that AMH featured my quilt - glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  15. Very beautiful quilt! I noticed it via Anna Maria Horner on FB. I used to live in Soquel. It was lovely seeing your quilt photographed in my old stomping grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many beautiful places in Soquel to photograph too - I should take my next quilt out and about.

      Delete
  16. So gorgeous. You found just the right way to highlight those pretty AMH colors!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!