Sunday, December 23, 2018

Curves mini - Curated Quilts submission

12"x12" Eye of the Beholder -curves mini

I've been up to my eyeballs trying to finish the top from 2017 BeeSewcial (originally blogged here) hoping to check another 2018 FAL Q4 goal off the list.   Although I made progress with two new blocks sewn to add to the collection from my bee mates and a final (revised) layout committed to, it will definitely roll over to 2019.  So, I took a break and made an Eye Inspired entry for Curated Quilts curves mini quilt challenge.  

Color story and Theme Announced 
When I saw the call for entries, immediately I knew I wanted to participate.  Having missed out on making one for the Improv theme, I decided to slip in a little spill over and came up with a finish that I'm really proud of.  Even though the it isn't a requirement to include the entire palette, I wanted to capture the essence of the color story as much as possible. 

Quilting Thread auditioning 
Keeping with the Curve (and improv) spirit, I chose to quilt organically with contrasting thread which is always a bit terrifying especially when the clean slate stage of the top is flat and graphic.
The Top Finished and Trimmed
Changing colors and burying thread is not a favorite task.  I ended up using only two spools even though the others matched well it felt like that many changes would feel overworked and distracting.
Free-form Stitching
Staying true to the design-as-you-go approach, I let the lines evolve with some intentional repeated treatment.  It's not exactly uniform but again, the idea was to enhance and not detract from the piecing composition.   Linking up my finish with fingers crossed that it is picked for publication.
Striped Binding for the Win
Start to finish feels good.  To contrast the curves I found the most perfect striped fabric in my stash for the single fold binding and was super flattered when designer Jennifer Paganelli made this comment on Instagram "I just want to say this quilt is hugely inspirational and I love seeing my stripe!! ❤️❤️❤️" 

Adding the moment I woke up and read it to my fangirl archive with a big grin.

Here's to hoping the rest of the year treats you well.  Happy Stitching, Karen  


2 comments:

  1. What a really interesting piece Karen! I love that it was inspired by your Eye prompt. I haven't started but am still hoping to participate too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just super, Karen! It attracted my attention when I was looking at the the Curated Quilt submissions. I bet it catches their eyes too. I sure enjoy seeing all the fabulous improv you create. You really have a gift for it that I admire.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!