Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"No Inherent Sense Of Direction" Madrona Road Entry

The story of this quilt begins at the end of "Driving In Circles" as you can read for yourself here.  You might say "No Inherent Sense of Direction" is a byproduct - it would not have been created if my original Madrona Road Challenge journey had led to where I thought I was going.  Because this second quilt was a happy accident I had free rein to do whatever I wanted - sweet!  No expectations, No preconceived ideas.. my kind of detour.
"No Inherent Sense of Direction"
The abandoned parts from "Driving In Circles" would not go to waste for long - in fact I'm not sure I even paused before starting the design.  It was pedal to the metal.
This component struck my fancy because the half square triangles reminded me of arrows on a road sign and the arches became rolling hills.  Although I do like the linked arrows idea of this layout I wanted to use a FQ of wonderfully bold floral fabric that just didn't fit in with the first quilt.

The evolution of the layout led here with an orderly arrangement that didn't sit well with me either.  Turning the Road Signs every which way actually made more sense to me, up, down, left, right... it's how I feel about directions - hence the quilt name.

Once the final layout was decided, the logistics of joining it all together got tricky. I was using every scrap off the floor to "build" the background - digging a  two inch chunk of chevron out of the trash with glee.
January Meeting Show and Tell SBAMQG 
For the quilting I had become quite the dare devil at this point thanks swimming in the deep end with the QuiltCon Charity FMQ experience.  I decided on pebbles for the background, some playful details on the flowers but the arrows had me stumped.

It seemed like straight line echo would accent well but in the end I chose to get totally random and stitched what ended up resembling a pineapple.
No ISOD back
The guild was kind enough to let me use more herringbone fabric to bind it in and the backing was from my stash.

I'm thrilled to have been included in The MQG facebook page today - the world of virtual quilting rocks!  Thanks for listening to my story - I'd love to know you stopped by.

Specs:  47"x59" Original Design
The MQG Madrona Road Challenge entry
Quick Curve Ruler
Pieced and quilted with Aurifil 50wt on my BabyLock Symphony
Pellon Nature's Choice Cotton Batting
Started Dec 28, 2012 Finished Jan 26, 2013
companion quilt "Driving in Circles" and bonus Bed Runner

EDIT: Linking up to FAL Q1 with Leanne of She Can Quilt as one of the 6 of 7 qualifying projects done.  1) No Inherent Sense of Direction 2) Tassels 3)Driving in Circles 4) Luminosity 5) Sisterly Love 6) QuiltCon Charity. Original Goal post here.
2013 FAL Q1 Goal Mosaic 

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I love how you just inherently move from one thing to another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your story behind this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out fantastic!! What amazing quilting you did to compliment your quilt! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!