Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Flat and Happy

At the thrift store I'm always on the look out for containers even when I don't know what I'll do with them. When I saw this one - the purpose was obvious - a place for my strips to lay flat and happy.

An old library card catalog that had been used by the last owner to store recipes in. I browsed a bit but the paper was a pretty musty so they got recycled.

It tucked nicely between the plastic storage tubs on the metal rack I have in my sewing room. My stash is bursting and I didn't think I could squeeze any more in but I managed.
My Stash - floor to ceiling
I interrupted my son drawing on his skateboard to get him to spray paint it yellow for me.  


Eventually I'll probably make one drawer 2" and the other 2.5" because my stash of non-batik strips is pretty thin. It certainly works better than storing them in the crumpled baggies seen in the background of the picture below.

Jars of Scraps, Trims, Bits and Buttons
 Now for a big deal in my quilting world:  I traded up my Baby Lock Serenade for a Baby Lock Symphony.  I'm a creature of habit and don't do well with change but I finally plugged it in tonight and will report back soon. News like that deserves a post - so stay tuned.
 Happy Quilting!



6 comments:

  1. yay for a new machine! Good luck with the adjustment! And your new 'filing' system looks great! clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yellow card catalog for strips! Beats my shoebox solution, that's for sure.

    Excited for your new machine, good luck with it! I'm in the market for an upgrade next year, so let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm addicted to containers as well....my husband tells me I need containers to hold all my containers. He's right but I'll never tell him that. I love the yellow and have fun with your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that filing cabinet is such a great addition to your sewing space. The yellow is very fun! Anxious to get a review on your new machine. Have fun testing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a set of these draws but I have yet to use them. I like your idea of painting them, then storing your strip in it. I will have to look for paint. Mine are dark green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful yellow colour! Nice and cheery, and what a great idea for storing your strips!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!